Expertise : labor and employment law
T 418 522-4580
F 418 529-9590
500 Grande Allée Est, Suite 1
Québec, Québec G1R 2J7
T 418 522-4580 | F 418 529-9590
Hotline: 367 777-0793
Admitted to the Bar in 1978, Me Richard Gauthier joined the Cain Lamarre team in 2018. He practices mainly in Labour and Employment Law and acts as legal counsel, negotiator or litigator. His practice covers all aspects of Labour relations.
He has extensive experience in negotiating collective agreements, union certifications and labour disputes. While he previously focused on Union Labour Law, he has been practicing exclusively with employers since 2001. Obviously, his practice leads him to provide consulting services, but mainly to plead cases, particularly in grievance arbitration and in matters related to occupational injuries.
Although he promotes prevention rather than remedy, Me Gauthier likes to repeat that it is never too late, having for motto “it's not over until it’s over”. He is known to be rather tenacious and of good faith. He is also recognized for his ability to identify the issues in dispute, he always finds the appropriate solutions. His strength lies in establishing a structure for a trial, including witness interrogations and pleadings.
The mining, industrial, academic and health sectors hold no secrets to him. He has given several training sessions and conferences in these sectors and has also been a professor at the Quebec Bar school and in Labour Law at Université Laval’s Faculty of Law. He has also been very involved in the Quebec City section of the Bar.
He is also Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Centre de prévention du suicide de Québec and its Foundation, a cause he holds particularly close to his heart. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Victorin Germain Foundation. When his sons were younger, he was also very involved in their sports organizations. Being an amateur sportsman himself, he enjoys playing tennis and squash.
- Labor and employment law
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Université Laval (1976)
- Cain Lamarre, Québec (2018 to date)
- Beauvais, Truchon et Associés (2001 to 2018)
- Trudel Nadeau et Associés (1991 to 2001)
- DeBlois, Gauthier, Samson et Associés (1984 to 1991)
- Goodwin, DeBlois et Associés (1978 to 1984)
Lecturing, conferences, publications
- Le harcèlement psychologique en milieu de travail, Training dispensed to HR managers (2015 and 2017)
- Lorsque l’accident devient un crime : responsabilité de l’entreprise et de ses dirigeants en matière de santé et de sécurité du travail, conference given to HR managers (2016)
- L’accès aux renseignements de nature médicale et l’expertise médicale : mode d’emploi (2012)
- Filature et vie privée, conference given to the Société des experts en évaluation médico-légale du Québec (2012)
- Obligation d'accommodement : où en sommes-nous en 2008?
- Speaker at the Centre de formation patronale-syndicale (1998 to 2010)
- Simulation d’une audition arbitrale de grief, conférence given during the Colloque du Barreau de Versailles (1998)
- Professor at theÉcole du Barreau du Québec (1988 to 1991 and 1996 to 2011)
- Professor of labor law at the Université Laval faculty of law (1991)
Associations, committees, boards
- President of the board of directors of the Centre de prévention du suicide de Québec (CPSQ) and of its foundation (2017 to date)
- Member, board of directors,Fondation Victorin Germain (2018 to date)
- Vice-president of the board of directors of the Centre de prévention du suicide de Québec (CPSQ) (2015-2017)
- Member of the Comité d’arbitrage des comptes d’honoraires des avocats du Barreau du Québec (2000 to date)
- Secretary of the Quebec Bar
- Member of the Conseil général du Barreau du Québec
- Member of the Comité sur les services à la population (Barreau de Québec)
- Member of the Comité des relations extérieures (Barreau de Québec)
- Member of the Comité de l’exercice illégal (Barreau de Québec)
- Member of the Comité sur la justice administrative (Barreau de Québec)