T 514 393-4580
F 514 393-9590
Direct line: (514) 787-3471
Assistant: Léa Boëmare
Me Stéphanie Destrempes holds a law degree from the Université de Montréal. She developed her expertise in franchise law, commercial and transactional law, as well as in bankruptcy and insolvency matters with two other law firms before joining the Montreal team as a lawyer and partner.
Me Destrempes represents franchisors and distributors in the restaurant, retail, service, healthcare, and wellness industries. With her extensive knowledge cumulated over the years and 360-degree vision, she assists her clients in the implementation of the business model, the development of infrastructure, the expansion of networks outside Quebec, implementing foreign networks in Quebec, trademark protection, transactions, network management and restructuring, issues between franchisor and franchisees, and the drafting of commercial agreements such as franchise, licence, affiliation, distribution, supply and securities agreements, commercial leases, and the purchase and sale of assets and shares.
Me Destrempes has participated in many conferences and co-written various articles on franchising. Always striving to surpass herself, with her clients’ success at heart, she makes sure to stay on top of innovations and new practices in the field. With a wealth of experience, she knows how to evaluate the needs of each of her clients as well as the risks. In addition to her franchising expertise, Me Destrempes has solid experience in the application of the Farm Debt Mediation Act, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the analysis of securities.
She is highly involved with the Quebec Franchise Council, namely as member of the board of directors, and through her involvement in its many other committees. Me Destrempes is also the instigator of the ”Femmes en toute Franchise” sub-committee. She is also a member of the board of directors of Groupe AFFI and a member of the Professional Development and Advancement Committee of the Association of Quebec Women in Finance (AFFQ).
Her great spirit of collaboration, leadership and commitment has led Me Destrempes to mentor young professionals. After all, she cares about their success and appreciates to accompany them in the beginning of their career. She is known for her commitment, her availability, her dedicated spirit and her determination. Her favourite maxim reflects her personality: “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed” (Roosevelt). Besides her profession, Me Destrempes enjoys a variety of sports, such as downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, golf, paddle board and of course figure skating, which she has competed in for many years at the provincial, national and international levels. She also enjoys cooking for friends, travelling, and read a good novel in her spare time. Me Destrempes also participates in various events to support organizations related to mental health issues and heart disease, two causes she holds very close to her heart.
- Franchise law
- Business law (commercial law, bankruptcy and insolvency)
- Professional law (bankruptcy and insolvency)
- L.L.B., Université de Montréal (2006)
- Therrien Couture Avocats s.e.n.c.r.l., Saint-Hyacinthe (2007-2014)
- Lavery, de Billy, s.e.n.c.r.l., Montreal (2014-2022)
Lecturing, conferences, publications
- Conférences: Conference “Franchise Your business, Become a Franchisor – Legal Aspects“, Séminaire Franchisez votre entreprise, Canadian Franchise Association, (2021)
- Conference “Know Your Rights and Obligations, Franchie Agreement and Disclosure Document“, Salon virtuelle des franchises canadiennes (Québec), Canadian Franchise Association (2021)
- Conference “Recent Jurisprudence in Franchise Law“, Regroupement des praticiens du droit des marques de commerce (RPM) (2020)
- Conference, “Expanding a Franchise System Oustide Quebec: Applicable Canadian Franchise Laws and Franchisor Disclosure Obligations“, Développements récents en droit de la franchise du Barreau du Québec (2020)
- Publications: Author “Expanding a Franchise System Oustide Quebec: Applicable Canadian Franchise Laws and Franchisor Disclosure Obligations”, Développements récents en droit de la franchise, Barreau du Québec, vol. 470, Éditions Yvon Blais, (2020)
- Publications: Author “Review of Franchise Law Decisions (2019)“, Les Cahiers de la Propriété intellectuelle, vol. 32, no. 2, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2020
- Publications: Author “Franchising in Quebec”, The Franchise Voice, (2019)
- Publications: Author “Jurisprudential Review 2017 In Franchise and Distribution Law”, Les Cahiers de la Propriété intellectuelle, vol. 30, no. 2, Éditions Yvon Blais, (2018)
- Publications: Coauthor “The Duty of Policing Franchise Systems”, Franchise Law Journal, American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising, vol. 36, No. 1;
- Collaboration for the article “Ten Essential Provisions in a Franchise Agreement”, Notary Development Training, 1C.P. du N. 273, (2016)
- Coauthor “The implied duty to act in good faith in franchise agreements: the takeaways from the Canadian case Bertico inc. v. Dunkin’s Brands Canada ltd.”, written for the International Bar Association, (2015)
- Publications: Author “Ten Key Decisions in Quebec Franchise Law”, written for the Young Bar of Montreal Research and Legislation Committee, (2015)
- Collaboration for the article “Franchising in Canada (and Québec): Duality of Laws and Culture”, Lexpert, (2014)
Associations, committees, boards
- Secretary and member, board of directors and executive committee, Conseil québécois de la franchise (since 2021)
- Member, board of directors, Groupe AFFI, L'Atelier la Flèche de Fer inc. (since 2021)
- Instigator and member of the subcommittee Femmes en toute Franchise du Conseil Québécois de la franchise (since 2018)
- Committee, Gala Maillon d’or du Conseil québécois de la franchise (since 2019)
- Committee, Annual golf tournament for the Conseil québécois de la franchise (since 2016)
- Member, Professional Development and Advancement Committee, Association of Quebec Women in Finance (AFFQ) (since 2015)
- Young Bar of Montreal Research and Legislation Committee (2015-2016)
- Committee, Prêt à entreprendre (Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de la Rive-Sud) (2015-2016)
- Organisation Committee, Relais pour la vie de Saint-Hyacinthe (2009-2014)
- Member, board of directors, Canadian Cancer Society –Saint-Hyacinthe Division (mandate 2009-2013)