Expertise : municipal law | environmental law | administrative law | real estate law | penal law
T 514 393-4580
F 514 393-9590
630 boul. René-Lévesque Ouest, Suite 2780
Montréal, Québec H3B 1S6
T 514 393-4580
F 514 393-9590
Hotline: 438 943-2050
Passionate, creative and meticulous, Me Valery Gauthier studied law at the Université de Sherbrooke. She also holds a graduate degree in common law and transnational law.
Admitted to the Quebec Bar in 2018, Me Gauthier interned at the Saguenay office of Cain Lamarre. After intensive training with the municipal and environmental law team, she joined the Montreal office.
Since her arrival at the firm, Me Gauthier has been assisting clients in the industrial, mining, commercial, municipal and real estate sectors daily. Her attention to detail and her way of getting to the bottom of things have allowed her to carve out a place for herself in these environments. Me Gauthier works with files related to municipal taxation, expropriations and environmental compliance at both the provincial and federal levels.
Me Gauthier works meticulously in search of innovative proposals and creative solutions. She accompanies her clients throughout the process of implementing solutions and seeks to go beyond the problem, whatever the project. Me Gauthier does not hesitate to go on site to meet people.
Highly invested in the vulgarization of her expertise, Me Gauthier gives numerous training sessions on environmental and municipal law. She also participates in various municipal association conferences.
Concerned by the importance of education, health and the environment, Me Gauthier is involved in various causes. She was a member of the Board of Directors and Vice-President of Academic Affairs of the Association générale des étudiants en droit de l'Université de Sherbrooke.
Passionate about local products and what Quebec and its regions have to offer, she travels a great deal across the Belle Province.
Assistant: Louise Larose
- Municipal law
- Environmental law
- Administrative law
- Real estate law
- Penal law
- Bachelor’s degree in law, Université de Sherbrooke (2017)
- Graduate level Diploma in common law and transnational law (J.D), Université de Sherbrooke (2017)
- Cain Lamarre, Montreal (2018 to present)
Lecturing, conferences, publications
In Municipal Law
Training provided to the Fédération québécoise des municipalités (FQM) in municipal and Environmental Law:
- Municipal Financial Management
- Contract Management
- Building Insalubrity
- Agricultural Zoning in the Province
Training provided to the Corporation des officiers municipaux agréés du Québec (COMAQ):
- Municipal Economic Development, Tax Credit Programs and Assistance to Private Businesses
Training provided to the Association des directeurs municipaux du Québec (ADMQ):
- What to remember from the CMQ's compliance audits on the processes governing the adoption of municipal by-laws?
- Municipal Cooperation: how to do more with less?
- Legislative Changes Affecting Municipal Procurement: What You Need to Know to Escape Grey Areas?” half-day training session for the Évènements Les Affaires participants in Montreal (2019)
In Environmental Law
Training provided to the Conseil Patronal de l’Environnement du Québec (CPEQ):
- Understanding halocarbons without the chills!
- Ethics and professional conduct in environmental matters
- Hazardous material: obligations, transportation and risk management
- The management of an environmental file
- Inner Workings of The Penal System in Environmental Matters
- Provincial and Federal Penal System in Environmental Matters
- Management of MELCC and ECCC non-compliance notices, directives and/or administrative monetary penalty
- Wetlands and Hydrous Environment Management for Commercial and Industrial Projects
- Access to Information in Environmental Matters: Where Are we Now?
- Recent TAQ Case Law in Environmental Matters
- Solicitor-Client Privilege in Environmental Matters
Other conferences and presentations:
- How to Better Understand the Government And Judicial Setting With Regards to the Environment
- Management of an Environmental Matter
- Environmental issues to consider for construction projects in Quebec, training for the Journée Stratégique Open Forum on construction with a public and parapublic work provider (2019)
- Access to Information in Environmental Matters: Where Are we Now? lunchtime presentation for Cain Lamarre lawyers (2018)
- Environment inspections and investigations: What to tell your clients?” lunchtime presentation for Cain Lamarre lawyers (2018)
- Teaching assistant and coordinator of the documentary research class 1 at the Université de Sherbrooke (2016 and 2017)
Associations, committees, boards
- Ethics and conduct adviser, Commission municipale du Québec (currently)
- Member of the Board of directors of the Association générale des étudiants en droit de l’Université de Sherbrooke (2016 to 2017)
- Student at the Association de la construction du Québec as part of a university clinic activity (2017)
- Vice-president of Academic affairs of the Association générale des étudiants en droit de l’Université de Sherbrooke (2015 to 2016)